Becoming She-Hulk

The Journey to Prove that 40 is Worth Celebrating with a Bang!

Thursday, August 25, 2005

10 Days... Count Your Blessings!

I went for my second costume fitting tonight. I was feeling rushed because there was still so much to do before the girls and I get on the plane tomorrow morning for a family wedding in Ottawa. They are so excited, I think their feet barely touch the ground in between leaps and skips.

The minute I walked into my costumer's house, I knew that something was wrong. She looked so pale... As she showed me the costume and explained that she wasn't as far along as she'd hoped, she almost burst into tears. Tuesday night while I'd been there, she was making seafood chowder with her son and his girlfriend when he decided to zip up to Blockbuster to rent a movie. On the way home, someone backed out into the road suddenly, just moments from home, blocking both lanes of traffic. Her son was unable to avoid crashing into the car and flew off his motorbike, smashing his arms and one leg. His hands were also very badly crushed and his right wrist completely dislocated.

I just hugged her and told her how amazed I was that she'd gotten anything done! She then explained that it was good therapy to keep her mind off things between hospital visits.

Her son has had one round of surgery on his right hand and is scheduled for more on his left hand in the next few days, but he is understandably angry at how his life has suddenly been turned upside down. The artist in me just wanted to tuck my hands in my armpits and hide in a corner somewhere. The costume is going to be AWESOME, but how I ache for her son and what she is going through trying to be strong for him.

Life can throw us curve balls when we least expect them. Sometimes when we hear of tragedies, we help however we can. Other times we can only tuck someone in our prayers and say a quick thank you that it didn't happen to us.

We really do have to count our blessings each day instead of list our complaints!

4 Comments:

At 6:57 AM, Blogger WhizGidget said...

Many many hugs to your costume designer and her son... and she has been blessed too - he's alive. :) So many don't survive...

{{{{hug}}}}

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Valerie (grvlgal) said...

Oh my goodness! So glad that he survived. My thoughts go out to her.

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Erin said...

How terrible for her (well, and him!). I hope they both come through this as okay as possible. She will be in my thoughts.

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Seo Ninja said...

your article is this very helpful thanks for sharing..............:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home